Saturday, June 12, 2010

CCC 2010 Day 3 The Lord's Supper

My favorite part of the conference, I think. Well, the most meaningful maybe. It's really hard to put a 'favorite' part. The reason this was so meaningful to me, is because I was bowled over at the simplicity and love that's REALLY found in the Lord's Supper. That is, when it's done the way God intended it to be.
All too often, churches brow beat their congregations to search deep within themselves for any unconfessed sin. Any hard feelings against someone? Did anyone wrong lately? Well, before we partake of the Lord's Supper, it was of utmost importance to get these things taken care of--go apologize; go extend forgiveness, whatever it was we needed to do. To partake of the Lord's supper without having taken care of those pesky sins was to drink damnation to your soul.  I remember being a young teenager in a Baptist church. Small congregation, boasting of about 50 on a 'good' Sunday. There were two families that pretty much ran things. My family was one, and a good friend of mine's family was the other. One such time, I heard my friend's mother berating a decision my Daddy had made concerning the paint color for the church building. She was not very kind, and I immediately took offense.  The next Sunday, the church partook of the Lord's Supper, and I knew within my heart, I was still mad at her. Wasn't about to forgive her, nor was I going to excuse her for the cruel things she said against my family. However, I wasn't going to be a hypocrite and take the Communion, just in case it really was going to cause me to go to hell. I'd show her and the entire congregation. I refused the wafer and juice when offered. I stopped taking the Lord's supper at the age of 14, and never partook of it again until I came to the Classic Christianity Conference.

How liberating it was! The Lord's Supper is about remembering what Jesus did for us, and why; not about our sins. Our sin is a dead issue. Jesus took care of that on the cross. That is what we're to remember. We are to take His Body, which was broken for us; we are to drink the cup of the New Covenant, which ushered in a life of continual forgiveness, and the whole time... remember that He did this out of love for us.

I will forever be grateful to the People to People Ministries for sharing the truth with me concerning this beautiful picture of the New Covenant.

2 comments:

  1. Lady , Thanks alot, today I needed to hear this message !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Sorry--I've not kept up with this blog much since work has started back. Looking forward to next year's conference, Lord wiling!

    ReplyDelete