Thursday, June 10, 2010

CCC of 2010 Day 1 arrival

What a smooth trip this has turned out to be! Maybe God wanted us here, after all. Where is 'here'? It is in Carrollton, Texas, home of the annual Classic Christianity Conference hosted by People to People Ministries. Over the next few days, I hope to share some thoughts concerning this year's conference.
This has been a wonderful experience, so far, watching both of my boys enjoy the adventure. My oldest son is ready for an adventure any time of the day, while my youngest is a bit more reserved like his mom.

Starting off, we arrived at the departing airport with TONS of time to spare, zipped through all the checkpoints, and enjoyed a breather while we waited for our flight departure. When signing in, we had the option of upgrading to first class for just a few dollars more, so we did. First class made for a nice trip, and I was very pleased to see how much my boys were enjoying it. Landing at DFW, smooth sailing, rent a car--and now for the challenge. Would we get to our point of destination without incident? I must confess, I despise driving in big towns, and Dallas does constitute as a rather large town in my book.  Thankfully, God saw fit to get us here without incident, as both of my boys did their best to put my mind at ease. That in itself is a huge job.

My next thought... would my youngest son enjoy it? No doubt my oldest one would. He has this uncanny knack of making himself at home wherever he goes, and he had such a blast last year. My youngest isn't all that outgoing. Would he be able to converse with strangers? He would barely speak to the Flight Attendant on the plane, how much more would he not speak to a room full of strangers?

Silly me. I needn't have worried. Upon arriving, I needed to take care of a few last things in the car before going in. My oldest didn't wait for either of us, hopping out of the Jeep and bounding into the front door, as if he did this every Sunday. By the time I reached the door, younger son had also gone in, and both were engaged in jovial conversation at the front desk with none other than Ms. Jeannie, the most precious lady you'll ever meet, the Mac Guy, Greg, and a couple of conferees.  One by one, folks came out to greet them, and it did my heart good to see them all embrace both of my children. As any parent can vouch for--if you want to make Mama happy, be good to her kids.

Seeing old friends is half the fun at coming to these conferences. Each year, before signing up, I drag my heels, thinking, "Maybe God doesn't need me to go this year.." It would be so much easier to just send my monthly offering in, and let them do what they need to do. Did I really need to be there? Did the PTP staff really need me there? I had my doubts, and truthfully, if my kids didn't go, I don't know that I would have gone. Oh yeah, ten minutes inside the door, I knew that yes, God did have some things in store. Not a large crowd this year, but that's okay. More intimate, and maybe the staff wouldn't be worked to death. It was great meeting two friends face to face that before now, we only had contact via internet. Nita and Ralph are precious people, and it's great to put a face with the phone calls and emails!

Yes, I do believe it's going to be a great conference.
Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how creative, Lisa....Welcome Cyberees:) Sounds like Jesus provided with getting y'all safely there. Yeahhhh!!! Oh, the most perfect "Welcome to Metro and you are loved" greeter....Jeannie. Love just flows like water from her precious heart. James will soon find thre is no stranger that shows up to the CCC...no not one...because we all love Jesus and have this amazing instant connection and love from moment one. Thanks so much for posting....i'll look forward to your every post. Hugs and love to everyone for me:) I so miss being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pam, Oh yeah--the creativity all goes to Rob, though lol. This was his artistic stuff.
    Jesus just parted the red sea, or the Dallas traffic, as it were and got us here. I am so blessed and excited, wondering what's next! God is Good!

    ReplyDelete